Recent News

Copyright © 2025 Indus OBServer. All Right Reserved.

Sheikh Waqas warns PTI will pursue contempt case over Imran’s hospital shift

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Share It:

Table of Content


Rejects security concerns cited by govt, Chaudhry says security agencies changed Imran’s hospital at the last moment

PTI Central Secretary of Information Sheikh Waqas Akram. Photo: Express

The Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) on Friday termed the government’s decision to shift party founder Imran Khan to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), instead of Shifa International Hospital, despite court orders, a “preplanned” contempt of court, saying it would file an application over the alleged violation.

The Supreme Court (SC) ordered on Tuesday that Imran be moved to Shifa International Hospital for treatment for the next few days and directed the government to arrange weekly meetings between him and his family. In response, the government had filed a review petition before the SC, calling its order “discriminatory in nature”.

However, in a post on X today, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar revealed that the former prime minister was taken to Islamabad’s PIMS, rather than Shifa International Hospital, for a medical examination before being declared medically fit and returned to Adiala jail, a move which was widely criticised by the opposition parties.

Speaking to a private television programme, ‘Naya Pakistan’, PTI Information Secretary Sheikh Waqas Akram said the government’s move, which also involved the Punjab government as the jail was located in the province, was preplanned.

“The way the government, including the Punjab government, acted — because obviously the jail is there — this was a preplanned matter. They deliberately planned and committed contempt of court,” he said.

Read: Imran taken to PIMS instead of Shifa, declared medically fit and returned to Adiala: Tarar

He said PTI had been asked to stay away from the jail because thousands of people would gather there upon hearing that Imran Khan was being brought out.

“However, we kept our workers away from the jail, and what we wanted happened in exactly the same way,” he said.

Akram condemned the government’s decision to take the PTI founder to PIMS despite clear directives from the Supreme Court to take him to Shifa International Hospital while claiming that Information Minister Ataullah Tarar had himself admitted to contempt of court.

“Information Minister Ataullah Tarar admitted to contempt of court by saying that we took him to PIMS Hospital. The Supreme Court is saying that he has to be taken to Shifa. Who are you to take him to PIMS?” he said.

Rejecting the government’s claim that security concerns and the presence of PTI workers prevented Imran from being taken to Shifa, Akram accused the authorities of misrepresenting the situation.

“Ask your own people how many people were there. Were there hundreds of thousands of people there? Absolutely not. There were more media personnel. Get the footage and see; there was no such crowd that could have created a security situation,” he argued.

Akram announced that the PTI would file a contempt of court application, saying it was among the legal options available to the party.

He said the party was also calling meetings and would stage protests in the assemblies.

Also Read: Opposition to approach SC over Imran’s treatment, reaffirm Sept 27 long march

However, rejecting the impression that the doors for dialogue had been closed, the PTI leader said the situation could still improve if the government corrected its course.

“If the government still corrects things today, shifts Imran Khan to Shifa Hospital and implements the court orders, things can improve before we file the contempt application,” he said.

No politics behind Imran’s PIMS shift: Tariq Fazal Chaudhry

Meanwhile, speaking on the same programme, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Dr Tariq Fazal Chaudhry said the decision to move PTI founder to PIMS instead of Shifa International Hospital was taken due to security concerns rather than political considerations.

He said the hospital and the surrounding area had been cordoned off by law enforcement agencies before Imran left Adiala Jail, but security clearance could not be obtained because of the presence of media personnel and party workers who had gathered in large numbers.

He said that due to security concerns, the team of doctors that was supposed to examine Imran at Shifa was taken to PIMS, where the PTI founder was also shifted.

Asked when the decision to move Imran to Shifa International Hospital was changed, the minister said the plan was altered after Imran had already left Adiala Jail and all arrangements to receive him at Shifa had been completed.

“The plan was changed after Imran Khan had left Adiala Jail. All arrangements to receive him at Shifa had been completed, but while he was still on the way, our security agencies assessed the situation and decided that they could not control the situation there,” he said.

The minister said the government had no intention of creating any hurdles in Imran’s treatment. He said the government had also withdrawn its review petition so that it would not be perceived as trying to obstruct his treatment.

Asked about the government’s intentions, Chaudhry said alternative arrangements were made for high-profile individuals because of security concerns.

He said all arrangements, including police and administrative personnel, had been made at Shifa Hospital, while a team of doctors was also present there and ready to examine Imran.

Read More: Govt files fresh review plea against SC order on Imran’s hospital transfer

He also rejected the impression that the government had failed to comply with the Supreme Court’s directives, saying all the court’s directions had been followed “in letter and spirit”, but the hospital had to be changed at the last moment.

“Overall, we have neither defied the Supreme Court’s decision nor politicised the matter. His health is our priority … We have no personal differences with him,” he added.

SC orders Imran’s transfer to Shifa International Hospital for treatment

On Tuesday, SC ordered that Imran be shifted to Shifa International Hospital for treatment for the next few days and directed the government to arrange weekly meetings between him and his family.

The hearing came after a medical board report and a report by the Adiala Jail Superintendent submitted to the SC on Monday recommended more frequent meetings between Imran and his immediate family and spouse to help manage his blood pressure and anxiety, highlighting concerns over the former premier’s blood pressure (BP).

A three-member bench headed by Justice Shahid Waheed was hearing cases concerning Imran’s access to his sisters and personal physicians, as well as his medical record.

The court further ordered that Imran’s personal physician, Dr Faisal Sultan, be granted access to him and directed the formation of a medical board comprising an eye specialist, a general physician, and a cardiologist along with Dr Sultan.

His sister, Dr Uzma, will also be associated with the newly established medical board, according to the order. The SC directed that Imran’s family bear the cost of his treatment at the hospital.

The court also instructed Imran’s family and lawyers not to share his medical report with the media, with Justice Naeem Akhtar Afghan ordering that the report be kept completely confidential.



Source link

Tags :

Serverindusob@gmail.com

https://eng.indusobserver.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Grid News

Latest Post

Find Us on Youtube

Indus Observer is an independent digital news platform delivering the latest, authentic, and unbiased news from Pakistan and around the world. Our mission is to promote truth-based journalism by providing accurate information and timely analysis to our readers.

Latest News

Most Popular

Copyright © 2025 Indus OBServer themes. All Right Reserved.