Recent News

Copyright © 2025 Indus OBServer. All Right Reserved.

DR Congo receives 1st batch of vaccines to contain Ebola outbreak

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Share It:

Table of Content


50,000 more doses expected as MSF warns affected communities not receiving adequate support to contain virus

People at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in the Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, on May 16, 2026. PHOTO: REUTERS

The Democratic Republic of Congo has received the first batch of 16,520 doses of the Ervebo Ebola vaccine to contain the Ebola virus, health authorities said late Friday.

Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said more than 50,000 doses are expected by Monday.

“These doses would strengthen the government’s response to Ebola and contribute to the protection of populations, with the support of our partners,” Kamba told reporters in Kinshasa.

Read: WHO pleads for more support to tackle Ebola outbreak

The World Health Organisation announced on Thursday that 70,000 vaccines would be supplied to Congo from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile for a Phase 3 clinical trial to better understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus and to be used for frontline and health workers.

To date, no vaccine or specific treatment has been approved against the Bundibugyo virus.

The Ervebo vaccine is licensed and recommended for use in outbreaks of Ebola virus disease, previously called Zaire ebolavirus.

Confirmed infections in the current Ebola outbreak have reached 5,290 cases, including more than 2,500 deaths, according to the latest Health Ministry situation update.

On Friday, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) warned that communities in Congo are not receiving adequate support to contain the Ebola virus.

Read More: Ebola outbreak could cost Africa up to $3.6b, UN says

MSF said in a statement that training for health workers and community leaders on case detection, referrals and infection prevention and control measures must be urgently bolstered within communities affected by the outbreak.

The latest epidemic has affected 56 health zones across six provinces: Haut-Uele, Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Bas-Uele and Tshopo since the outbreak was declared in mid-May.



Source link

Tags :

Serverindusob@gmail.com

https://eng.indusobserver.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Grid News

Latest Post

Find Us on Youtube

Indus Observer is an independent digital news platform delivering the latest, authentic, and unbiased news from Pakistan and around the world. Our mission is to promote truth-based journalism by providing accurate information and timely analysis to our readers.

Latest News

Most Popular

Copyright © 2025 Indus OBServer themes. All Right Reserved.